Monday, September 22, 2014

Week Three: Asian Horror:Vengeful Spirits

Hannah Blair
Week 3

The conventions in A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami resonate with me on a very personal level. The novel had me paying more attention to the duality of what is good and evil as well as the playing the concept of authority more than any horror aspects. Most of my life I’ve always had issues with authority figures because of situations as a child that moved me to almost having to live two lives. Because of this I’ve often felt life in an almost dual fashion, sometimes in my head seen as the negative and positive.

The writing style instantly proved to be something I was going to enjoy just because it is so extreme in itself. I often have a hard time with names and the way Haruki illustrates the characters it makes it a less confusing experience and really allowed myself to immerse myself in each characters minds. I could easily empathize with the struggle of each of the characters even Sheep man, who illustrates someone who had something of TRUE value which was a memory and now cannot move on with his life because of how hard he tries to hold onto those good moments from our past.

Another concept the book plays with that I find interesting is the Romanization of images. Our “hero” finds a new girlfriend by his over Romanization of a photo of her ear. And the business mans (the rat) obsession with the picture of the sheep and his need to find it resonates notes of that delusion as well. I think as a society we do this with so many things creating value in material items or even the thought of an item or person that we can drive ourselves (and our inferiors that we boss around) to put so much importance in things that only have meaning because we give them meaning. When we allow those delusions to take control of us, we can force ourselves or those around us (much like our hero’s unfortunate situation) to waste the little precious life that is given to us in our blip of an existence on empty goals.



No comments:

Post a Comment